RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Wife burned up my Mamba Max on 5S over the holiday... :(
Old
  (#1)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

Wife burned up my Mamba Max on 5S over the holiday... :( - 11.30.2006, 04:30 PM

Well it finally happened, the MMax went down on 5S lipos in less than 10 secs in my wife's hands.:007: :036:

To her credit I'm teasing a bit, tho it really was like 10 secs. I had been driving all over the TG holiday and the BL Revo was my last truck standing out of 3. Crawling over lumber, high speed street and grass runs, some yard racing vs my bro in laws stock rustler (yet he still won alot :mad:1 :005:, small track and tight turns, lots of me going too fast, wheels falling off, or breaking stuff :) .)

So she says "I want a to drive it, I want to do a race"
-"Ok dear, just be very, very careful. It has alot of power, just be easy on the throttle until you get used to it. It can get away on you really fast."
"Alright, I'll be careful"

[sets cars up for race]

1...2...3..go!

Up the hill it goes, drives into the tree which is turn 1. She hits reverse to back up, then tries to go forward, then I hear a grinding sound.
-"Woah woah woah, stop!" (thinking its the spur or diffs) then I hear the esc making the start up beeps. Uhoh.

Run over and I smell smoke. Don't see any, but unplug everything and look at it. Plug just the 2S batt in, red led comes on, but esc won't arm or beep. Looks like a FET may be burned, but hard to tell.

Either way the stock Rusty won the race again...

She didn't do anything I hadn't done many times w/ the truck. A stick was kinda stuck in the wheel, so its possible the rotor may have been locked and the amp surge killed it. Its supposed to have protection for that, but I doubt its perfect, and 5S may have been to close to the margins anyway for the esc to have a good chance of shutting itself down in time. Aw damn.

Guess its time to send her in (edit: the esc, not the wife, she's non-refundable ;) ). I'll prolly still run it carefully on 5s when I get it back, but its almost too much power anyway (if that exists. 0_o )The only time I can go WOT is on the street on straight aways, but everywhere else its a bit nutty. 4S would be just fine, tho I am waiting for the MMonsterMax to come out, and def looking to upgrade to that for more safety on 5s.

Perhaps I'll upload a really short vid of one of the races someone cought on the digi cam. Its pretty funny putting the 1500W BL 4wd Revo versus the 100W stock Rusty, however slow and steady often wins the race (and brakes far fewer parts.)

Last edited by Finnster; 11.30.2006 at 04:33 PM.

Old
  (#2)
jhautz
RC-Monster Mod

11.30.2006, 05:03 PM

Makes sense if the drive train was locked and she didn't let up on the power. It will draw ALOT of amps REALLY fast and on 5s it didn't stand a chance.

So the MM is not invincable. This is the first report I have heard of someone actually frying one. Good to know the limits. What size motor were you running on 5s.

I'm working on a 1/8 buggy project that I'm planning on running on 5s also.

I can't decide if its more fun
to make it...
or break it...

Silent...But Deadly

Old
  (#3)
sjcrss
Hyper 7 Erevo Center Diff

11.30.2006, 05:07 PM

I know the feeling....my wifr is non- returnable as well...lol....Ihave only let her drive my truck a few times, so...so far im pretty lucky.....good luck with the controller

Bl E-REVO
Quark 125b
Castle Creations-Neu 2200kv motor
((2s2p)(4s)
7800mah 7.4v Lipo Pack
E-Revo 1/8 scale Hyper 7 CD
http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...1&goto=newpost
  Send a message via MSN to sjcrss Send a message via Skype™ to sjcrss 
Old
  (#4)
Finnster
KillaHurtz

11.30.2006, 05:34 PM

Well, every superman has its kryptonite, and for the MMax its women :P

Kidding kidding kidding....

It actually happened so fast that she didnt really do anything, she just got very unlucky. At least I can keep it in my back pocket if she gives me trouble about RCs, I can remind her of her destructive tendencies. :)

Old
  (#5)
sjcrss
Hyper 7 Erevo Center Diff

11.30.2006, 05:37 PM

yes you can...and that is to funny...

Bl E-REVO
Quark 125b
Castle Creations-Neu 2200kv motor
((2s2p)(4s)
7800mah 7.4v Lipo Pack
E-Revo 1/8 scale Hyper 7 CD
http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...1&goto=newpost
  Send a message via MSN to sjcrss Send a message via Skype™ to sjcrss 
Old
  (#6)
captain harlock
RC-Monster Captain

11.30.2006, 06:30 PM

I think that the sudden reverse/braking, had its role in destroying the Mamba Dude. Braking heats up the controller pretty fast and castle creations recommended not to use the brakes alot with the MambaMax while running on 5s.

The name is Alawi. You can call me Al.
Nice to meet you!

Old
  (#7)
BP-Revo
BMW M Power!

11.30.2006, 08:20 PM

lol...the way you put it is as if Castle doesn't mind that you are using it on 5s in the first place...

That kind of stinks. One reason I dont let anyone drive my trucks...except my dad and brother...

For some wierd reason, my dad, brother, and I can give my trucks a pounding without an issue. The instant the controller falls into anyone else's hand my truck breaks.

BL Revo: CF G2R, LMT1940/7, 6S FP 30C Lipos, MMM, Hitec 5955TG
CRT .5: 7075 Ext Chassis, LMT1930/7, FP 25C 3S Lipos, MM

Old
  (#8)
captain harlock
RC-Monster Captain

11.30.2006, 09:48 PM

Probably it has something to do with your spiritual relationship. Your truck feels comfortable under your control and if someone strange out of the family's blood, it would simply break down.:p

The name is Alawi. You can call me Al.
Nice to meet you!

Old
  (#9)
crazyjr
RC-Monster Dual Brushless

11.30.2006, 09:59 PM

I have never had trouble with letting other people drive mine, I just have one rule; "You break it, you buy the parts to fix it, or buy the totaled wreck" People respect your stuff when they realize how much to fix and their money is on the line

Work because i gotta, play because i wanna

People here hate Nitro, I love it. I start it, run it about 50 ft from me and it dies, I go after it. Perfect exercise

Old
  (#10)
zeropointbug
Z-Pinch racer

11.30.2006, 10:32 PM

Cap. Harlock

LOL Ya, no kidding! My brother, he's 32, he is the only one that stuff breaks on my truck. But the thing is he doesnt even run that hard, or crash, it just breaks?!

HAHA

“The modern astrophysical concept that ascribes the sun’s energy to thermonuclear reactions deep in the solar interior is contradicted by nearly every observable aspect of the sun.” —Ralph E. Juergens

Old
  (#11)
coolhandcountry
RC-Monster Mod

12.01.2006, 02:59 PM

I guess have to keep wife off next one. ;)

Peace!
Country
Help support the
Rc-Monster
Buy here

My pics and videos

Old
  (#12)
Cheater

12.15.2006, 11:22 PM

I've been doing some testing on a mamba 25 5s, blew it also. Extended part throttle operation seems to be about the worst thing you can do to that controller, especialy on 5s. I did test full reverse-full gas-full-reverse back and forth 4ft. passes up to 4 passes to heat up controller. Continuos 2cnd gear full throttle runs (in grass geared high enough I had to take of in 1st then shift to 2cnd) didn't heat it up enough to worry about. However something that doesn't apear to be abusive (extended part throttle runs) really put the heat to it. Higher voltage made it happen even quicker, and gearing down so as 5s top speed matches 4s top speed didn't help either. This test with a fresh pack killed my speedo quick (20-30ft at very low throttle input).

The m.m. manual even stresses gear down don't cut back throttle end points.

I know the m.m. is a much diffrent controller than the 25, but imagine they have the same tendancys.

Is there any chance it went puff because your wife was trying to take it easy on the truck? If this looks like a possible cause to you, it might save some other peoples controllers to keep this in mind.

Old
  (#13)
Dafni
RC-Monster Mod

12.16.2006, 11:19 AM

WOW! Did you really try a Mamba 25 in an EMaxx?? On 5S??

Old
  (#14)
phildogg
RC-Monster Aluminum

12.16.2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafni
WOW! Did you really try a Mamba 25 in an EMaxx?? On 5S??
that would be something to see huh?
phil

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1g...MR6SqQkehkevwA
my youtube channel
  Send a message via Yahoo to phildogg Send a message via AIM to phildogg  
Old
  (#15)
Dafni
RC-Monster Mod

12.16.2006, 11:54 AM

Yeah. I mean it's a Mamba 25, as in 25 amps continuous. This controller is smaller as an UBEC!!

What motor was on it, Cheater? A CM-2080?? LOL