RC Monster

Go Back   RC-Monster Forums > Support Forums > Brushless

Making an esc better?
Old
  (#1)
AAngel

Making an esc better? - 04.28.2007, 03:38 AM

Hey guys,

This is just for the purpose of chatter and perhaps my gaining some insight. I've been cruising this forum for a few months now and it is apparent that there are some electronics savvy guys/gals here.

I've often come across comments like the Mamba Max would be better if....

Well, I'm sure that the guys at Castle had a product in mind when they conceived the MM controller that would fulfill a particular need. The number of MMs that I've smoked in the last couple of months has told me that my needs exceed the capabilities of the current MM. Of course, the MMM is coming out sometime in the next decade, but I don't want to have to wait.

What I would like to know is whether there is a way to "upgrade" a MM to enable it to run 5S lipo reliably and up the current handling capacity of the MM esc. I like the MM's programmability and its form factor, so I thought I'd ask. If it is at all do-able, I might be inclined to try. I have a couple of guinea pigs sitting on my bench.

Old
  (#2)
nativepaul
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.28.2007, 07:11 AM

Ive not heard it done with castle controllers but in the SAWs (top speed record running) boat world, there isn't a speedo available that will cope with the currents of a sub 10 second runtime, some folks have taken the schultze 32/160 and stacked extra powerboards on to increase the current handeling ability, if the MM has seperate boards for the brains and power it may be possible too.

I don't belive there is any way to increse the voltage it will work with bar desoldering alll the components and replacing them with higher voltage versions(if they fit), but with the time, knowledge and expense that would take you could probably build a new controller to your specs.

Old
  (#3)
AAngel

04.28.2007, 12:52 PM

I'm not worried about the time, but the knowledge I am lacking in. That's why I was hoping that maybe a parts change would work. Then again, if it were that simple, someone would have done it already.

I just thought I'd ask. Perhaps, it was just a stupid question.

Old
  (#4)
Aragon

04.28.2007, 01:42 PM

Keep in mind that Castle are working on the MMM. Consider they do this for a living, 8 hours a day, everyday, with a team of qualified engineers and a lot of sophisticated test equipment. Consider how long it has taken them already so far and it is not yet available.

Consider alternatives. :) JMHO...

Old
  (#5)
captain harlock
RC-Monster Captain

04.28.2007, 03:02 PM

Quark Plasma!

The name is Alawi. You can call me Al.
Nice to meet you!

Old
  (#6)
jollyjumper
RC-Monster jumper

04.28.2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captian harlock
quark plasma!
is it out yet?

losi 8ight-t
xray xt8

Old
  (#7)
captain harlock
RC-Monster Captain

04.28.2007, 03:20 PM

No idea...

The name is Alawi. You can call me Al.
Nice to meet you!

Old
  (#8)
AAngel

04.28.2007, 03:43 PM

Well, the wait for the MMM continues. I was also thinking that Castle has a lot more resources than I do, but on the other hand, they also need to build the esc AND keep prices within reason.

I just wanted to know if I could do an upgrade.

Old
  (#9)
GriffinRU
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.29.2007, 11:42 AM

There is no reason for CC to work faster on MMM version. And it is very easy to build prototype unit in R&D but it will takes tons of time before it can be released to public.

Can MM be upgraded - sure why not, can it be done within the same package - questionable, can it be done cheap - possible.

Here couple thoughts:
For MM to handle higher voltages you need to modify software as well, that's a little bit more tricky then just swapping fets or adding couple daughter boards. But we can always set it to custom voltage, right (thanks to flexible software).

Do you need high current at higher voltage - good question.
What is more important that with higher current (or the same 100A) and higher voltage (4S+) capacitors are growing in size, so current package is doomed, unless we increase price and let electrolytic caps go home :)

Well, bottom line if you want to upgrade one, send it to me I will take a look and maybe do something about. In the past I've done lots of upgrades to ESC from any brand and flavor.

Last edited by GriffinRU; 04.29.2007 at 11:43 AM.

Old
  (#10)
AAngel

04.29.2007, 02:40 PM

Griffin,

That is a tempting proposition. I have two MM controllers coming back from Castle. When they get back, I could send one off to you to look at. I have one particular MM that doesn't perform as well as the others and may be a candidate for upgrading. What do you think that cost might be?

Old
  (#11)
AAngel

04.29.2007, 02:48 PM

Oh, I did check out the specs on the Plasma. Am I crazy or does the esc look more like it's geared for on road use? It handles higher voltage, but only a 100A draw.

Old
  (#12)
BP-Revo
BMW M Power!

04.29.2007, 03:11 PM

AAngel, you must consider that when voltage goes up, amps goes down, given the same wattage.

100amps at 6S is a heck of alot more power than 100amps at 4S. So, higher voltage controllers don't usually need so much current rating, unless you are running a huge motor.

For most extreme brushless users, the limit is a 1515 Neu or a LMT1950, and the right KV version of that motor on anything above 4S is probably not going to draw anything near 100amps continuous.

Also, I beleive that amps rating is per phase, which means its actually alot more than 100amps. The Mamba Max is 100amps in brushless mode, but 1000amps in brushed mode.

BL Revo: CF G2R, LMT1940/7, 6S FP 30C Lipos, MMM, Hitec 5955TG
CRT .5: 7075 Ext Chassis, LMT1930/7, FP 25C 3S Lipos, MM

Old
  (#13)
BrianG
RC-Monster Admin

04.29.2007, 05:02 PM

Wow, 1000 amps! :dft002: I didn't know that. That must be a burst rating. There is no way that those wires and/or PCB traces could handle that sustained without melting. Not to mention those poor FETs!
  Send a message via Yahoo to BrianG Send a message via MSN to BrianG  
Old
  (#14)
suicideneil
They've been naughty boys, havent they Mr. Flibble

04.29.2007, 05:23 PM

Would it be possible two wire to esc' in parallel to a motor?.... or is that just crazy talk. I was thinking connect the battery to both esc', then both esc' to a single BL motor. I'm guessing it would result in a puff of smoke & flames, but it would be interesting to try with a couple of those cheapo Bl systems you see on ebay- or try modding them both together to work as a more powerful system = experiment on them rather than a good MM...... [/crazy idea]
  Send a message via MSN to suicideneil  
Old
  (#15)
GriffinRU
RC-Monster Aluminum

04.29.2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAngel
Griffin,

That is a tempting proposition. I have two MM controllers coming back from Castle. When they get back, I could send one off to you to look at. I have one particular MM that doesn't perform as well as the others and may be a candidate for upgrading. What do you think that cost might be?
Ok, let me know when ready.

Quote:
Also, I beleive that amps rating is per phase, which means its actually alot more than 100amps. The Mamba Max is 100amps in brushless mode, but 1000amps in brushed mode.
1000A, I will question that but in configuration when 3 phases goes to one brush and other brush directly to battery it is possible, but where you can find batteries and brushes to handle that current continuous, unless you use winch motor and 3 Optima batteries :)

Quote:
Would it be possible two wire to esc' in parallel to a motor?.... or is that just crazy talk. I was thinking connect the battery to both esc', then both esc' to a single BL motor. I'm guessing it would result in a puff of smoke & flames, but it would be interesting to try with a couple of those cheapo Bl systems you see on ebay- or try modding them both together to work as a more powerful system = experiment on them rather than a good MM...... [/crazy idea]
Do not ever try to use sensoreless ESC in parallel!
You can use brains from one and parallel output stages.

Last edited by GriffinRU; 04.29.2007 at 05:50 PM.